||GNU Mailman - List Member Manual
5.1 How do I join a list? (subscribe)
There are two common ways you can subscribe to a Mailman mailing list.
Using the web interface:
- Go to the list information page for the list you want to join.
(This will probably be something like
- Look for the section marked "Subscribing to LISTNAME" and fill in the
boxes. You can fill in the following:
- Press the subscribe button. A new page should appear telling you
that your request has been sent.
Using the email interface:
- Open a mail program which sends mail from the address you want to
- Send a mail to the list subscription address, which will be in the
form LISTNAME-join@DOMAIN. The subject and body
of the message will be ignored, so it doesn't matter what you put there.
After following one of these sets of instructions (you don't need to do
both!), there are a few possible outcomes depending upon the settings for
- You may receive an email message asking for confirmation that you
really want to be subscribed to the list. This is to prevent anyone from
subscribing you to lists without your permission. Follow the instructions
given in the message to confirm your wish to be subscribed.
- A moderator may also need
to confirm your subscription if you are subscribing to a limited list.
you may have to wait for a moderator and follow the instructions in
the confirmation mail.
Once this is done, you will likely receive another message welcoming you to
the list. This message contains some useful information including your list
password and some quick links for changing your options, so you may want to
save it for later reference.
Subscribing can be done in other ways as well. See
Appendix A for more advanced email subscribing commands.
Release 2.1, documentation updated on March 2, 2015.